Monday, April 13, 2009

Stress- the physiological changes it induces


Well I took a hard midterm Saturday, then began working on a 10 page, single spaced paper due tuesday. I am taking a midterm today for ochem. I went to bed at two and was at campus studying by 6am. I drank two red bulls and had some eggs for breakfast. Now.. whats going on in my body?

First the red bulls (heavely caffinated) increase heart rate helping to wake me up. Unfortuantly the caffiene has a structure able to interact with rynodain and release unnecessary Ca2+ into my muscles causing unwanted muscle twitches. Can you see my hands shaking? In response to the stress my body has increased glucocorticosteriods namely cortisol to help my body deal with the stress levels. Cortisol releasing hormone is sent from the hypothalamus throught the vessel portal into the anterior pitutary causing an increase in the secretion of adrenocortiotrophic releasing hormone. This hormone makes it way through the blood until it acts upon receptors in the adrenal medula causing a release of the cortisol. In return it sends a negative response signal back to the brain but it is probably overrided by the stress im experiencing. Cortisol is released into the blood. This in effect increases the free amount of glocose in my blood elevating my blood sugar levels. Islet of langerhan Beta cell production increases but not much compared to the rapidly rising blood glucose levels. Release of norepinephrine and enpinephirne also help to maintain increased heartbeat rate, vasoconstriction, and elevated blood pressure. Increased ketobodies are sent to the brain to provide nurishment for mentally demanding situations (tests). The vasoconstricition to the stomach increases metabolic rate causing a decrease in digestion being sent from the stomach to small instestine. This causing an increase in the osmolarity of the food in the small intestine drawing water from it and creating a watery stool. the vasoconstriction to the stomach also causes increase in acid secretion and breeding grounds for H. pylori increasing my chances for a gastric or doudenal ulcer. The vasoconstriction in my most lateral body parts causes clamy, pain limbs with a inflamation and redness in the more medial body parts. The inflamation will cause the body to fight itself and partly try to fight the inflamation causing a vurnability to sickness.Increased epinephrine and norepinephrine maintain the quicker heartbeat. Symptoms of tachycardia follow if it persists. As time to the test decreases the signs of stress will more manifest themselves. If you see me then look for these things. It will all leave me tonight by 10 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment