Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hazwoper




FREAKIN' AWESOME. So we were sitting in class and we got a report that their had been an accident in one of the colleges chemical disposal buildings. We get there and some of the witnesses say there might have been a chemical spill or a gas leak. We look at the blueprints of the building then I suit up in my class A gear with my SCBA (self contained breathing app). I got duck taped into the suit and proceeded into the quarantined building. As soon as I entered the building I saw a bunch of dead people (students pretending). I didn't expect this. My heart immediately began to beat harder and I could hear my breathing through the mouth piece of the tank increase. They all had their makeup done downtown at this place called TaylorMade where they do Hollywood makeup. It looked pretty real. My job was to check for radiation leaks which I found (false positive so nobody was in real danger), check with a four gas for dangerous gasses, and get samples. The next crew came in to rescue the people and the last crew came in and cleaned up the acid spills. I had to get decontaminated by the decon crew as well. It was a once in a lifetime experience. In the first pic I am waving while waiting for decon. My face was all fogged up from sweat. It was so hot in the suits. I had about half an inch of sweat in each boot. Gross huh. The second pic you can tell from my face how hot it was in the suit as well. Uncomfortable but still awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment